Text Size
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need Help Trying to Start Racing, What class/bike?

Need Help Trying to Start Racing, What class/bike? 14 May 2012 04:21 #170914

• matt01
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi everyone,

I want to try racing flat track out this year. The closet racing organization by me is ama d6.I don’t know what class I should run in, I have never raced or rode flat track before. I have a 08 crf250r set up for hare scrambles right now but from what I could see I would have to run it in class b open? My father use to sponsor a flat track team and has a 450 Rotex framer but I think that is to nice and fast for me to learn on. Would my best bet be to try to find a tt500 and run the 500cc two valve single class?

Thanks for any help,

Matt

heres the d6 sign up form with the classes d6mx.com/D6-DIRTTRACK/dirt-track-app.pdf
Last Edit: 14 May 2012 04:24 by matt01.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need Help Trying to Start Racing, What class/bike? 14 May 2012 05:28 #170915

Well first of all you're not going to get a good feel or have a good first experiene flat track racing if you are just going to ride a bike with stock/mx suspension. If you have been riding for awhile you wont have a problem on the 450 framer, but i would ride it in the novice/beginner/C class for your first few times out until you get a good feel for it. Once you ride a few times and if you decide it's something you want to get into then buy some wheels from a@a motorsports or whatever get you suspension done on your 250end and have some fun!

Re: Need Help Trying to Start Racing, What class/bike? 14 May 2012 12:36 #170923

• matt01
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the Bike recommendation, I wasn’t even thinking of suspension. I would like to race C, but from what I could see on their signup sheet B is the lowest class they have. I guess I'll just give it a try anyways.

Re: Need Help Trying to Start Racing, What class/bike? 14 May 2012 19:18 #170955

• willierides
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Go watch a race and walk the pits...talk to some folks, look at some bikes. Most importantly, pay attention to the classes that you qualify for to see which one looks most beginner friendly and least intimidating. Also, try to get at least one practice session in before racing.

And remember what a friend told me when I was getting ready to try the sport, "No matter what you think it'll be like, you'll be wrong". :laugh:

Re: Need Help Trying to Start Racing, What class/bike? 18 May 2012 21:43 #171222

• WildWill
  • Thank you received: 1004
To me it's a No Brainer.

Framer? Rotax? Ride The Rotax man, the learning curve will be so much Fun.
Willard Kelley
aka
Wild Will From Stephenville
6 Time VDTRA Pro #1
Sponsored By:
Tom Laird, L A Racing, Hearne Tx.
Terry McDonald of House of Wheels Racing, Brownwood Tx.
Rod Lake Racing, San Jose Ca.
Pam McDonald of All Star Awards and Signs, Brownwood Tx.
K-K Enterprises, Stephenville Tx.

Re: Need Help Trying to Start Racing, What class/bike? 18 May 2012 22:02 #171224

• eli54
  • blah blah, blah blah blah
  • Thank you received: 53
Tom Horton said his TZ700 was pretty easy to ride.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds