Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Arizona Flat Track Association

Arizona Flat Track Association 06 May 2010 15:42 #96592

• tt33u
  • Platinum Boarder
  • TT
  • Thank you received: 47
I have noticed a lot of AZ folks on this board since the mile last weekend. There are several of us in the Phoenix area that are trying to get some interest in starting a flat track club here and possibly hold some races and at least get together once in a while and have a cold one and talk about racing.

We've got access to a couple of practice tracks and I had some conversations with Dee Crippen, the gentleman who runs the short track at Yavapai Downs about possibly having some club races up there. He was very open to the idea. Hopefully we could lure some of the members of SCFTA up for a home and home series. Be a great place to have a night race or two when the weather down here in the valley is a zillion degrees.

So, whether you just like to watch racing or if you want to race or if you are like me and like to ride the "Older Than AARP" class or if you just want to have a cold one and BS about racing, drop me a note at:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

thnx,
tt
There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.
Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Arizona Flat Track Association 06 May 2010 19:24 #96624

• bigge71
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I moved to AZ in 2004 from no CA. I and my son raced Dist.36. Did you hear about the track on Ironwood on the southeast county line off of Hi.60? That's a motocross facility there. I live in SE Mesa. That track is a 1/3 mi from what I heard. I spoke to them and it is suppose to be done by this summer. I don't know if they have a website but see if you can find their site. Wish I could be of more help as to how to contact them. I am retired and wouldn't mind hanging out at a local DT race now and then. you can contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Arizona Flat Track Association 06 May 2010 20:06 #96627

• tt33u
  • Platinum Boarder
  • TT
  • Thank you received: 47
bigge71 wrote:
I moved to AZ in 2004 from no CA. I and my son raced Dist.36. Did you hear about the track on Ironwood on the southeast county line off of Hi.60? That's a motocross facility there. I live in SE Mesa. That track is a 1/3 mi from what I heard. I spoke to them and it is suppose to be done by this summer. I don't know if they have a website but see if you can find their site. Wish I could be of more help as to how to contact them. I am retired and wouldn't mind hanging out at a local DT race now and then. you can contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Hi Al,
I moved here from CA in '94 so I'm practically a native compared to you... I live in Chandler so we aren't too far apart. I saw in one of your posts that Sacramento '66 was the first mile you attended. That was also my first mile.

I grew up racing district 35. Did you ever race Chowchilla? A lot of the D 36 guys used to come down for that. I used to have some good races with Ray Huff there.

I have seen several posts and a few updates about the new track out there but last I heard, they still had not started it. Hope it comes through.

I'll drop you a note if and when we get something going.

Thanks for the response,

tt
There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.
Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Re:Arizona Flat Track Association 06 May 2010 20:38 #96632

• Racer98
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 76
Hey Tim,
You need to look up my friend al that responded to your post, he's a great guy and fellow 40 inch rider. I hope you guys are successful down there, I know a lot of guys from here that would like to come down and race.
Rod Lake

Re:Arizona Flat Track Association 07 May 2010 06:34 #96653

• JN3n
  • Platinum Boarder
  • JN3n
  • Thank you received: 33
Keep Me in the loop on the new track. I will come down and support the race series when ever possible.The Phoenix area is almost our second home !Jamie

Re:Arizona Flat Track Association 07 May 2010 07:56 #96665

• bigge71
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Rod!
Thanks for remembering a fellow 40inch rider Rod. We sure miss you guys. My nephew found an old pic of that Champion Triumph! I think it was the guy that bought it from me back in '77. It was Tom White's who raced it at Ascot. I had to sell it and a'76 Norton Commado to get a home as I got married and expecting Mike,my first of 5!!!!!! Mike was 41A,CCM,lives here in AZ also,just married. Thanks for your generosity,kindness,not only in racing but in all aspects! I hope things are good in San Jose. As my nephew was saying,"The 40" class,nov,junior,expert the 60's,70's.Hayward,Fremont,Lodi. Man, those were the days. Will there ever be anything like it?"

Re:Arizona Flat Track Association 07 May 2010 08:18 #96667

• bigge71
  • Gold Boarder
Hi tt33u!
I grew up Mtn View,CA racing Dist36. I did mostly D36 in the bay area. Norton'58 Dominator,'67 BSA 650 Hornet, of all things,-- a stock(from Sonny Kenyon's Mtn View shop) '71 Firebird Scrambler!!and Triumph Champion were my rides. My older buddies that helped me along with wrenching and stuff were the Sanchez bros. They always talked about the Salinas Sand Pits, I guess it was called. They'd mention Chowchilla now and then. Frank and Tony were class C juniors in the 60's and rode Baylands near San Fransisco. Hey-- let's get together. I've got some cool Ascot films I took!!!
480-986-2778

Re:Arizona Flat Track Association 07 May 2010 14:45 #96744

Hello.

I would love to see some local flattrack racing in the Phoenix area.

I'm originally from the Dallas, TX area where I learned to enjoy watching the local flattrack racing starting back in the mid-60's. I've never been a flattrack racer, but I did crew for one of my friends that campaigned a 1957 BSA Goldstar for a while on some local tracks. My riding experience was "cow-trailing" dirt bikes, and riding street bikes.

I really enjoyed going to the races in Prescott, and I'll be there for both days of racing in October.

I'll watch for posts you might make about anything you get going in the Phoenix area.

Re:Arizona Flat Track Association 07 May 2010 17:28 #96761

• admin
  • Administrator
  • .The Khan of Oz
  • Thank you received: 3
back in the 60s there were the Halford brothers from the Phoenix area. I wonder if they are still around.
“Our deepest need is for the joy that comes with …knowing we are of genuine use to others.”

-- Eknath Easwaran

Re:Arizona Flat Track Association 07 May 2010 17:58 #96763

• AHRMAGUY
  • Fresh Boarder
Hos, I was there at Manzanita, in 70-76......The Halford boys were tough!!! I think John is still around.....Tommy passed awhile ago. Also, there was Art Fredenburg,(R.I.P.), Butch Beard, Bryan Le Plante, Gary Wells, Jon Sellars,Steve Simpson Jr., and of course, Byron Boaz. Those are some of the guys, I remember...... Manzy was a really fast T.T., that ran every week.....and now it's gone to the same fate as Ascot......
They haven't had a real race track in Arizona for a long time...Hope that something will come together.......
And Al, aka: bigge71 I'll be thinking about you tomorrow night at Lodi, at Gene Romero's race.

Steve Lacey
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds