Text Size
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: tire doping

tire doping 04 Oct 2011 10:17 #155990

• jp42
  • Junior Boarder
i have heard of this to make the tires softer. can someone fill me in on what, how to do this, benefits, etc.

thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:tire doping 04 Oct 2011 11:36 #155994

• maru
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
There are commercial tire softeners available. The 4 wheel oval track suppliers often sell it. It is often illegal to use. I was at a paved oval bike race once on a track normally used for stock cars. The bikes were literally pulling so much rubber off the pavement it had to be shaved off after each session with a cheese grader like body file. We asked a parts supplier at the track if it was popular to use softeners there. He aid it was illegal but that he sold a lot of it. In classes with a spec tire, they check for it with a durometer. Using it is kind of a science. Too soft and the tire turns to junk pretty quick.

Re:tire doping 04 Oct 2011 12:39 #156006

• eli54
  • blah blah, blah blah blah
  • Thank you received: 55
Xylene. Put it on the night before and wrap it in plastic.

Re:tire doping 04 Oct 2011 13:10 #156011

• Lineaweaver
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Used by Erv Kanemoto back in the day.......
"Wintergreen Concentrate"

Yes it works and yes it stinks.

Dale
"Compliance with homologation requirements will not guarantee an AMA Pro Racing homologation"
" Only motorcycles homologated for Supercross and Motocross are legal for Flat Track Singles competition"

Re:tire doping 04 Oct 2011 14:09 #156017

• jp42
  • Junior Boarder
thanks for the info guys!

wintergreen...how long before, wrap it?

Re:tire doping 04 Oct 2011 14:17 #156019

• McSparin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
When I was a crew member on a Hooters Cup car , several of the teams got caught using tire softners with the spec tires...that go from the tire truck, to the impound area, and are released from the impound minutes prior to race time....they got caught because one of the crew guys left there portable air tank un-attended, and an official picked it up and noticed it sloshed....evedently , they have modified the tank in such a way that it would inject the tire softner when they were filling the tire, it would soak all day in the impound area and be ready to go come race time, they got a pretty big fine , and a lot of watchfull eyes after that...Shawn

Re:tire doping 04 Oct 2011 14:35 #156023

• Lineaweaver
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
jp42 wrote:
thanks for the info guys!

wintergreen...how long before, wrap it?

Totally old school and primarily because my buddy loves the stuff. lol

Brush it on in three or four layers over a 24 hour period prior to
race day. No wrapping.

It does seem to work well on dry concrete. Not so well on enhanced
(coke syrup) concrete. Coke syrup and a doped tire
(particularly a soft compound sans a 5) often = too much traction. :laugh:

I've tried numerous commercial and home brewed elixirs.
Outside of the lab tire doping is more "Black Art" than science.

Have fun with it.

Cheers!
Dale
"Compliance with homologation requirements will not guarantee an AMA Pro Racing homologation"
" Only motorcycles homologated for Supercross and Motocross are legal for Flat Track Singles competition"

Re:tire doping 04 Oct 2011 17:49 #156049

• seiowaftfan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
tracktac dot com
They make a tool called a durometer to measure softness of rubber......... I have one.
Prepping tires to create more grip in the tire.
Notice how since the AMA flat track outlawed it.......you do not have the one line blue groove tracks anymore??
The teams using it in auto and karting are beating the test for it at the track though, tire needs to be sent to a chemical lab to detect some of the new preps
Good Luck

Re:tire doping 04 Oct 2011 17:58 #156050

• seiowaftfan
  • Fresh Boarder
I know an awful lot about this. We was kart racing when my son was 10 yrs old and preping was part of the game.
Tire prepping was huge to the point if it was a money race ....... you had to have a new set of tires every race.
We also cut the rubber off our tires from .09 dimples to .03 dimples......kinda like dragging a new pencil eraser across a piece of paper vs an old used rounded eraser, try it see witch one has less resistance.
We also prepped tire from the inside out, the tire needed to be rotated at about 10rpm for 8 hours though.
Tire prepping is still being used in alot of auto racing specially on a local level. I know of a guy whom is prepping for the WoO sprint cars and he is buying prep by the 50 gal barrel
Tracktac is not the best but really good and easier on your health and the enviroment

Re:tire doping 04 Oct 2011 19:31 #156056

• fourtogo
  • Expert Boarder
Try Bob'sfourcycle.com it's gokart web page . But they do a lot of tire prep UNREAL AMOUNT OF TIRE PREPING .
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds