TOPIC: WAYNE "HOS" HOSAKA: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

WAYNE "HOS" HOSAKA: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 16 Jan 2012 04:20 #163024

• WildWill
  • Thank you received: 1343
Just a few hours and it will be January 16th,
This marks One year since we lost our Fearless Leader,
Here at Flattrack.com.

I don't use the word Fearless lightly When talking about
Hos, as his approach to life was Fearless.

I came to Flattrack.com in the fall of 2001, after receiving a
Phone call from Ed Beckley telling me to go and check out the
Photo that Hos had posted of me from the Waco Texas 1/2 Mile.
I did, and Ed's son Scott had posted a comment about the Photo,
And I replied and mentioned two names in my post. Larry Beall
And Alan Jackson.

A gentleman known as tuner, Dennis Mahan, replied To my post and
told me to tell Larry and Alan he said Hi, which I did.

At the time I didn't know who Hos was or for that matter what a forum
Was as I didn't get a computer until after that Y2K Thing. Big Ed
Explained to me about Hos and his accident and all, and what the forum was.

I was one of those Novice internet guys back then that didn't know
Capital letters meant you were shouting and usually meant you were mad.
At first, I typed with all capitals because I thought it was much
Prettier. I got a call one night from Ed again and he explained it to me.

Just earlier that year Big Ed had gotten me back into flat track thru
Vintage racing. I had been racing My Hot Rod Lawnmowers and had hooked up with Big Ed and raced them at some of his Monster Truck shows.

Big Ed invited us to The VDTRA Nationals he was having in Austin Texas at the ROT Rally, and I talked Roland Wilson into bringing his 360 Honda
Twin for me to ride in the Vintage races, as I rode it and the lawnmower races. It was my first race in 17 years, and I won my First race back and I had a blast and as they say life hasn’t been the same since. I raced a couple of more times that fall at Waco, and one at Kilgore that Scott Scherb promoted.

Then Ed had a Three day race at Waco in the spring of 2002, and again at The ROT Rally in Austin. Things were going great for me at the time and I picked up a sponsorship at the Austin races to ride An 883 Harley and a 500 Honda for Jim Horracks, out of Quitman Texas. It was the 883, that Glen Stubblefield tuned and A, J, Eslick had Raced it.

But a few weeks later I lost two of my fingers and broke my right shoulder and two bones in my right foot, in a couple of lawnmower incidents. I had to have surgery on my shoulder and they put a screw and washer in it.

As I was recuperating, is when I started writing stories here at Flattrack.com and it really helped me through a rough time in my life.

When I started writing my stories I got a lot of replies about them and folks seemed to like them and encouraged me to write more. After My Story about The First all Harley Main Event when I battled with Kenny Roberts, and Corky Kenner, a gentleman named Tor posted and called me an author and told me to keep writing my stories, but to also write a book.

Then I started getting emails from folks on the forum who saw and liked my stories. Some didn’t even post on the forum, but had read them.
Hos emailed me and we started our relationship. Got a neat email about my racing in the seventies from a very nice gentleman named Rod Lake.

After I healed from those Lawnmower incidents I went back to racing in 2003, but kept writing stories. The first story I wrote was about Gerald Jessup from 1965, and I ended up riding Gerald’s Bikes at Waco, thanks to his son Jason. Before I rode Gerald’s bikes, I rode Ted York and James Beddingfields bikes at Dubberly Louisiana.

Another gentleman that liked my stories went to the Dubberly’s races to see me ride and posted on the Forum that I was the Real deal. That gentleman became my sponsor soon after that. His name was Randy Fulford and he went by nojob here on the forum. I raced for Randy from 2003 until we lost him to cancer in 2007. My first race for Randy was the Waco Short Track the same weekend I rode for Gerald Jessup.

That same weekend I picked up a Major sponsorship with Mark Rand of Team Gulfstream and became Teammates with one of my Early Heroes from the Sixties. Ya’ll know him as Jim Henry, but I call him Mr. Henry.
Mr. Henry and I traveled a lot together in 2003 and 2004, and I won many Races, but my biggest win was The Pro Twins Class at Davenport
Iowa in 2003, as well as The Vintage Twin class at the FUSA Nationals in Baytown Texas. At Davenport I meet a lot of folks from the forum and my big moment was when Mike Cory brought his then 12 year old daughter, Cym, to my pits and she had a photo taken on my race bike,
Cym has since claimed to be my Number One fan of all Time, and I even wrote a story for her about how I got the nickname Wild Will.

I then picked up a sponsorship with Rod Lake to ride his bike in California, but a couple of weeks before the race I fell at Waco short Track and broke my left leg in three places. I still got to go to Del Mar that year thanks to Rod, and just hung out and told stories at the Hilton bar. I got to meet a lot of folks from the forum on that trip. People like
James Grant, Dennis Mahan, Digger, the Rudy’s, Rochelle (dtDiva), Eli, and of course Rod Lake, just to name a few.

But one of my biggest moments on that trip was getting to meet Hos and hanging and talking with Him.

After That Trip, Another gentleman that read and liked my stories was Hal Jarrell of Houston and I got a call from him one day wanting my address as he wanted to send me a t-shirt he found while on Vacation.
I ended up riding Hal’s 500 Yamaha in 2004 and Won Two VDTRA Number Ones on it as well as finishing a close second on it in another class and a third in yet another class.

After Randy Fulford died in 2007, I finished out the season and Won Three VDTRA Number Ones, and at the last race of the season, I got to ride a neat Shell Yamaha Twin at Waco that belonged to Ray Priestley of San Antonio.

For The 2008 season my Wife Pat bought me my own bike, and I raced it as a privateer. Although I did win The Number One Plate That year it was not as much fun as it had been, when I rode as a sponsored rider. One of the High Points that year was riding the Kansas Circuit and meeting Tom Laird of Nebraska. After My ignition went out in Practice, Tom hooked me up with a ride with Ed Klineweber also of Nebraska. I rode Ed’s 500 Yamaha, and I also rode for Ed in Kansas in 2009, and this year on his 750 Yamaha twin.

Tom Laird Became my main sponsor in 2009 and I rode for him in 2009, 2010, and 2011. Tom is moving to Texas this year and I will again be riding his Triumphs and Yamaha Single.

In 2010 I got a neat deal with Art Randall and Rode one of his Bultacos in The Astro Cup Race at The Gas City Indiana AMA GNC National. Again I got to meet scores of folks from here on the forum, including Mia and Chew, and we had a ball after the races at the Motel.

This past season 2011, I got more rides as I was supposed to ride a Harley XR750 in Ohio for Jim Koselic, and a Yamaha in New York For Dennis Goyer, but I ended up with Health issues (Heart and Blood Pressure Problems), and didn’t get to make the races in Ohio, New York or Iowa.
I have since got the health Problems taken care of, without a feared operation, and maybe I will get to make those races this season. I sure do hope so.

It may seem to some of you that I am rambling here, but I wrote all this to make one Major Point.

I wouldn’t be where I am today (Whatever that is), and I wouldn’t have got to make so many neat friends from here on the Forum if it wasn’t for One man, and what a Man.

That would be Wayne “Hos” Hosaka.
If it wasn’t for Hos, and Flattrack.com I wouldn’t have been able to
ride all the bikes I have got to ride in the last decade, and I will be eternally grateful to Hos and This website for making my Dreams come true.

Because of Hos, I am truly Still Living My Dream and still meeting nice folks from here on the Forum.

THANK YOU HOS, I LOVE YOU MAN, AND MISS YOU EVERYDAY.

Some say the forum isn’t the same anymore and they are right. What is different now is when I post, Hos doesn’t come on and reply and make
a comment like he did so many times.

REST IN PEACE WAYNE “HOS” HOSAKA.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.
Willard Kelley
aka
Wild Will From Stephenville
6 Time VDTRA Pro #1
Sponsored By:
Tom Laird, L A Racing, Hearne Tx.
Terry McDonald of House of Wheels Racing, Brownwood Tx.
Rod Lake Racing, San Jose Ca.
Pam McDonald of All Star Awards and Signs, Brownwood Tx.
K-K Enterprises, Stephenville Tx.
Last Edit: 16 Jan 2012 08:30 by WildWill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: root, getta20m, Chew and family

Re: WAYNE "HOS" HOSAKA: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 16 Jan 2012 05:08 #163028

• getta20m
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 374
Will,

This brought tears to my eyes, I wish Wayne was still here to read it.

I sometimes think I feel his presence, or at least the aura of his influence. I hope that never goes away.

Getta
The following user(s) said Thank You: WildWill, Chew and family

Re: WAYNE "HOS" HOSAKA: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 16 Jan 2012 17:10 #163054

• WildWill
I was just wondering how many folks here on the forum
ever got to meet Hos in Person?

When I met him at Del Mar in 2003,
It was a special Moment.

I remember the first words he said to me.

Hos said to me, "I sure wish I had your Memory Will."

After we talked a bit we went up to the Skip Van Leewen Party.

I had forgot and left my VIP Ticket at The Hotel, but I didn't
seem to need it as Hos and I just went right in, he in his
wheel chair, and me with my Cast.

Once in, Digger hollered at me and I went and talked with him
at his table. Digger asked how I got in, and I told him I
Flew, then laughed and told him Hos and I used the elevator.

Digger was surprised as he told me he didn't even know there
was an elevator. :cheer:

Hos and I didn't stay long as the place was packed and Hos
couldn't get a round too well in the Wheel chair for lack
of Space, So we went back down and watched more races.
Willard Kelley
aka
6 Time VDTRA Pro #1
Sponsored By:

Re: WAYNE "HOS" HOSAKA: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 17 Jan 2012 04:08 #163130

• sal6r
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Missing Wayne everyday and always thinking of him. He touched all our lives. Visited his favorite "Art Gallery" neighborhood where he started his life after his accident and where he took art classes and his paintings were put on display.We felt his presence. It was a great way to honor his life and accomplishments. Couldn't let this day go by without sharing this with the flattrack community.
See you all soon someday
Sal 6r
The following user(s) said Thank You: WildWill, getta20m, Chew and family

Re: WAYNE "HOS" HOSAKA: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 17 Jan 2012 20:23 #163184

• WildWill
Do You Remember Hos's First Post after
you came To The Flattrack.com Forum?

I do. Mine was when Hos came on and posted
wanting to know if anyone had any stories about
the Great Cal Rayborn, and Hos told about a Road
Race in California that Hos saw, and Of Course
Cal Won it.

Hos then asked us to share if we had any
Cal Rayborn Memories.

So I replied back and told about the 1973 Indy Mile Regional
I attended as a Junior and Told about Cal Rayborn Winning
The Mile that day. Most folks knew how fast Raybotn was as
a Road racer, but I told them he was fast on the Dirt Also.

Anyone care to post their First Memory of a Hos Post?

Come on share with us.
Willard Kelley
aka
6 Time VDTRA Pro #1
Sponsored By:
Last Edit: 17 Jan 2012 20:24 by WildWill.

Re: WAYNE "HOS" HOSAKA: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 17 Jan 2012 21:15 #163191

• Lineaweaver
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Willard,
I had the pleasure of personally hanging with Wayne on numerous occasions.
Our first personal contact came after he referenced my Husaberg as that of a Husqvarna. :ohmy:

Over the years we spent many hours on the phone and exchanging emails.

Many people were much closer to Wayne than I, however, Wayne was my friend and I sure do miss him.

Dale
"Compliance with homologation requirements will not guarantee an AMA Pro Racing homologation"
" Only motorcycles homologated for Supercross and Motocross are legal for Flat Track Singles competition"
The following user(s) said Thank You: WildWill, getta20m

Re: WAYNE "HOS" HOSAKA: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 18 Jan 2012 10:45 #163235

• art the dart
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 856
ditto :( :kiss:
JUSTA ROOST FROM DABENCH
The following user(s) said Thank You: WildWill, getta20m

Re: WAYNE "HOS" HOSAKA: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 19 Jan 2012 23:43 #163404

• Bultacoslider
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Certainly, never met Hos, be we communicated, and I still think about him whenever I get in the motorcycle mood!!

Unfortunately, Gone, but not forgotten!!
Bultacoslider
Ray Ninness
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.F8Photos.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: WildWill
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds