Text Size
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Let's Talk Chris Carr

Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 15:56 #103993

• JDB17
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 98
Chris is a 7 time GNC champ. 7 time 600cc champ. Current Land speed record holder. 2000 F-USA Dirt Track Champ. 1995 AMA Superbike Rookie of the year. He may not be winning now but seems to make the main at all the GNC events. My question is this. "HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE CHRIS MISSED A MAIN. SINGLES OR TWINS"? Im sure Bert can answer this question but I would like to hear other input on Chris. I think he is way underrated for his achivements. I have other Chris Carr facts that I will post as this thread progresses. One of which is my first personal sight of Chris at the 1984 Indy Mile. He was a junior and ran away from the field as I remember.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 16:06 #103995

• 94fan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Chris Carr.............dirt tracker extraordinaire..............GENTLEMAN extraordinaire!

Heck, he's a great guy! :laugh:
The older I get, the faster I was!

Re:Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 16:59 #104001

• Rowdy Racer
  • Thank you received: 284
7 GNC Titles, and the 5 times he finished 2nd were by a total of 7 points.
Someone double check me on this, but I believe this is correct.
This guy is a frog's hair away from being a 12 time champ.
Fore munce ago, I coodunt even spell race permoter -
now I are one!!!

Re:Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 17:08 #104003

• Chew and family
  • Administrator
  • Chew and Mia (THE FANS IN THE STANDS!
  • Thank you received: 1981
I have watched him for a long time,he has entertained me one ticket stub after another!!! GREAT RACER,GREAT FAMILY AND GREAT AMBASSADOR TO THE SPORT OF FLATTRACK!!!!
chew and mia
I told my Pap and Mame I was goin to the dirttrack to go flattrackin.ACTED LIKE THEY WAS GUT SHOT!Says SON,Make your life goes here,HEREs WHERE THE PEOPLES IS,FLATTRACK IS FULL OF SPEED AND DANGER.Mother Larcom I SAYS,FLATTRACK IS THE MARROW OF THE WORLD, BY GOSH,I WAS RIGHT!!! chew

Re:Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 17:16 #104006

• JHenry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 410
Chris is one of the "ALL-TIME GREATS", what more can you say?? He's probably the best ambassador for our sport that we have ever had. It may not happen but I would like to see him add another championship to his already impressive list.

Jim Henry

p.s. nobody could call me a Chris Carr fan could they??

Re:Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 17:18 #104007

• JHenry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 410
Rowdy Racer wrote:

Paul,
I think one of those times it was actually a tie, they had to use a Tie-breaker to decide who the champ would be. Parker won.

Jim Henry
Last Edit: 29 Jun 2010 17:19 by JHenry.

Re:Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 17:23 #104009

• bob57p
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
What can you say about Chris Carr that hasn’t already been said---definitely dirt track extraordinaire?

I first remember seeing Chris when he was an amateur racer at one of the amateur nationals, riding a Boss-framed 250cc Can-Am two-stroke. Of course, I knew then he was another California fast guy, but didn’t realize the extent of it.

I first took real notice of him, and his greatness when he was a junior on the Ron Wood Rotax, number 4Y. That’s when I realized he wasn’t just another go-faster, that he was pretty special. It was 1984, I believe, and we saw a lot of great battles at the junior nationals and local races that year between Carr and Donnie Estep. But what really impressed me was watching Chris race at some of the local Wednesday night races at Santa Fe on the short track, against the experts. He was a sight to behold on his Rotax, and gave the experts all they wanted and then some. He flat put it around Santa Fe. I don’t remember him winning any mains at Santa Fe that year, but he definitely made his presence felt and sure impressed my dad and me. He charged every second of every lap that year, and seemed to run high, low, anywhere he could on the clay Santa Fe short track and was always moving forward, and passing national number white plates the whole way. I was a novice then, and I watched him with jaw-dropping admiration and envy. And my dad made the comment, “I haven’t seen a young kid put it around here like that since Garth Brow was a novice on his Bultaco.” I could’ve told you then, in the summer of 1984 when Chris and I were just 17-year-old punks, that he was special and was going to be a legend in the sport. I thought I was seeing the second coming of Kenny Roberts.

As the years went on, Chris came to dominate Peoria, and be known for that, and he also came to be known as Scotty Parker’s nemesis and number one challenger. And of course, Chris Carr is a legend in the sport in his own right.

But I also believe that when it comes to the legends of dirt track, that Chris is also a bit underrated. But I don’t think anyone has ever been as consistent for as long as Chris has been, nor as skilled on such a variety of tracks and surfaces. Over the years, it didn’t matter if it was a TT, short track, half-mile or mile---clay stock car track, 18-inch blue groove or deep, rough sandy cushion---if Chris Carr snapped his visor shut and lined up, he was ALWAYS a threat to win it. I’m not sure anybody who’s ever strapped on a steel shoe has been that dynamic, and not just gone fast on all of the different tracks and surfaces, but flat-out excelled at them! Parker, Graham, Springsteen, Markel---I don’t know that any of those guys could’ve won them all, but Chris could. He wasn’t as dominant on any one of the disciplines as some of the other legends, other than the obvious Peoria TT, but by God, he could win all of them, and did at one time or another. For versatility, and maybe longevity and also a history of safety and smart riding, in my mind, he’s probably unmatched, heavyweight champ.

I feel fortunate to have seen pretty much his whole career, and I’m also confident he’ll put it on top of the box again.

Re:Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 17:38 #104013

• Rowdy Racer
  • Thank you received: 284
JHenry wrote:
Rowdy Racer wrote:

Paul,
I think one of those times it was actually a tie, they had to use a Tie-breaker to decide who the champ would be. Parker won.

Jim Henry

That's what I mean, Jim - even when he finished 2nd, it was decided by tie-breaker. Not only that, but one of the ties came after Parker/Werner were given 8 minutes at one race to get their bike running instead of the alloted 2 minutes...
Fore munce ago, I coodunt even spell race permoter -
now I are one!!!

Re:Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 18:44 #104022

• dred96
  • Senior Boarder
Don't forget Chris's involvement in American Supercamp. I came into Supercamp half by accident and half because I was too broke up from trying to go faster motoing. Not only has he (and the whole American Supercamp crew) converted me into a dirt-tracker but also always helped me along the way. For no other reason than he loves dirt-track and wants others to see why dirt-track Freakin' rules. Beyond that I have seen the guy at schools work endlessly to improve riders.... of all disciplines. But, this is a flat-track forum so I am thinking of the flat-trackers that he has helped. And it has been a ton. I may be overstepping my bounds but as far as I know since the economy has taken a dive (no white washing attendance is just now starting to make a small rebound and we are a small company with very little leeway in what operates in the red or green) Chris has come to schools for the payment of riding. He comes because he loves riding and if he can help others that makes the sport of motorcycle riding healthier. Supercamp wasn't an investment in his retirement it was an investment in the sport of motorcycling.

I know 3 people that can make a rider better. Period. Across the board, any rider, they can make a better rider out of them. One is no longer with us, the other runs the day to day at American Supercamp, and the third is Chris Carr. There may be others but I don't know them personally.

Thanks Chris for everything you have ever done for me. It's more than you'll ever probably know. It's not so natural for most of us... or at least me.:lol:
-dred

Re:Let's Talk Chris Carr 29 Jun 2010 19:01 #104025

• Bert86
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 81
Other than the 2 years he spent road racing, I don't know when the last time it was that he missed a main event. I don't believe he's ever missed a race due to injury (at the GNC level). GJC or Dave Hoenig would know for sure.

I know this:

Most GNC ST wins ever (9)
Most GNC TT wins ever (15)
3rd most GNC HM wins ever (25 - behind Parker's 35 & Will Davis' 26)
2nd most GNC M wins ever (29 - behind Parker's 55)

He won 31 of the 64 AMA 600cc Nationals ever run.

If you haven't read his recent interview on www.fightfordirttrack.com, you should.

His true impact on the sport will only truly be recognized once he hangs up his shoe.
Wisconsin's premier flat track motorcycle racing event, Friday June 1
www.dairylandclassic.com
Last Edit: 29 Jun 2010 19:02 by Bert86.
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds