European Race Report
Published on 28 September 2010
As the penultimate round of the International Mefo sport Flattrack Cup 2010 got underway, the very close racing and fiercely fought battles, and even some rider contact despite the wide, multi-lined turns, showed the crowd why flat track is the original extreme sport!
Both Marco Belli and Richard Mason showed top form by winning 2 of their heats. They were joined on the front row of the grand final by Swiss Supermotard rider Jarno Möri and Mick Jansen, who got promoted after the retirement of Dutch ace Halbe Scheper. Jan-Willem Jansen, currently third in the championship, had to content with a second row start after he was penalized for causing a restart of the last heat.
Belli is known to have a little extra in the all deciding 15 lap grand final, but Mason pulled out all his magic during the opening laps and managed to create a healthy lead. Meanwhile the battle was full on for third between Möri, Mick and JW Jansen. With all three riders taking turns in third position, JW Jansen overcooked it and lowsided in turn four losing three places. With two laps to go Mick Jansen gained the advantage as Möri went wide and he slipped through to secure third place. Championship leader Marco Belli had to settle for second behind Richard Magic Mason who scored his second win of the season.
The 500m sand track of MSC Hof had not been used for over 15 years and was completely overhauled and revived to host the flat track and quad races! The club did a fantastic job only to be set back by heavy rain falls during the days leading up to the event. Luckily race day was dry and sunny and everybody could enjoy a fine day racing!
We can now look forward to an exciting championship showdown in Blijham (NL) in 10 days time. Where also the All American Twins Cup is going down to the wire with both Jansen brothers tied in the lead!
Round 8, Hof-Westerwald (D), Expert results:
1. #98 Richard Mason, Ashbourne(UK), Honda
2. #6 Marco Belli, Verese(I), Zaeta
3. #16 Mick Jansen, Utrecht(NL), dutch-brothers Harley-Davidson
4. #473x Jarno Möri, Aarberg(CH), Möri Sport Yamaha
5. #15 Jan-Willem Jansen, Adetswil(CH), dutch-brothers Harley-Davidson
6. #4 Henderik Mulder, Roderesch(NL), Yamaha
7. #80 Thomas Weigl Ebersburg(D), W&W KTM
8. #27 Tom van Nes, Adliswil(CH), dutch-brothers Rotax
9. #44 Ronald Shamier, Hoorn(NL), Co-Built Rotax
10. October 2010, Round 9 Blijham (NL) last round
16. October 2010, Pfarkirchen(D) practice